Saturday, November 15, 2008

Can't we all just get along?

I commented this blog written elsewhere..in response to a very lopsided post based on environmental hysteria, rather than data..here's the link:

http://theonlyonewehave.wordpress.com/2007/05/13/70-of-americans-dont-know-plastic-is-made-with-oil/#comment-405

So blatantly incorrect, I had to respond:

Just like you… I too am concerned by the current environmental situation…enough so to leave an engineering position on the production side of things and jump fence to the recycling side. I intend to use my skillsets to make a difference…not my voice to create a panic.
I have been in the process of gaining data…for the purpose of building a recycling center in Michigan. One thing I know is this…I am not biased about who’s data I use…but your statement that plastics production accounts for 10% of the worlds oil consumption is blatantly incorrect…the numbers I’m seeing are in the 3-5% range…with improvements made over the last couple of years… and a trend towards making things right.
I will say that I agree with you fully..there is a very strong need to educate the public. But education is NOT defined as propaganda…it is a clear representation of both sides and ALL issues..so that educated decisions can be made based on the facts…not ropes hung in a medieval witch hunt.
I run a plastics website…and I have a section devoted to environmental concerns. This section exists for the sole purpose that I as a person who loves this planet have the same concerns regarding its misuse as you do.But the products I produce have been in your best interest…I’ve been breathing the fumes you fear for 23 years now…and I am as healthy as a horse.
Bags an issue…you betcha…marine aquatic issues…certainly…but that is why I’m here. Because I care, and want to make a difference. I am glad to help…I’m more than willing to listen. But remember…there are two sides. And they live and breathe the same air….

I'm telling you, folks...it is time for us to step up and educate those who are operating on mistruths and assumptions.

No comments: